Zero-waste undertakes a variety of design projects including those that are academic, commercial or speculative. I operate primarily a problem-led design process, having led in the past to solutions in the form of websites, physical products and system specifications.
NB. Since 2010 my projects have mainly been documented on the blog rather than on this site. The links below reflect this, so some will take you to the blog.
- Download a summary portfolio - .pdf 3.3MB, Aug. 2013
Projects in progress:
- Trombone Sensor - a bespoke bit of stage lighting for Brass, Aye?.
- Absolute Horizon - an immersive light and puppetry performance with Fergus Dunnet.
- Kick - The final installment of a trilogy of solo percussion performances.
- Tutoring Services: Glasgow School of Art - championing interactive prototyping across a range of design subjects.
- Mack Library model lighting - electronic design and fitting for Finch and Fouracre
- Calum Stirling - CAD consultancy for Calum.
- Bronze chair - CAD work for a sculptural chair, to be cut and welded from bronze sheet.
- Ref Cafe sign - a tweetable sign for the Referendum Cafe, with Neil McGuire and Lizzie Malcolm.
- Snare - an improvised performance and installation using snare drums, for Team Effort.
- Cymbals - an improvised performance and installation using cymbals, for IF.
- Rupa - new product prototyping for exhibiting at Wearable Futures 2013.
- The Glad Wine Game - Design and production of a short run of packaging for this wine based game, for the Glad Cafe.
- Shed desks - design consultancy on CNC routed desks for my brother's study in his 'shed'.
- Tuesday evening workshops at MAKlab - Curating weekly workshops for Glasgow's own fablab.
- Skylight International - straight up industrial design and a bit of mechanical design for skylights.
- 'Kudu' Turbine - 3D CAD for 3D printing a historical water turbine.
- Calum Stirling - 3D CAD consultancy for Glasgow artist Calum Stirling.
- Tchai Ovna Sandwich Boards - Design and build of three painted signs for the tea house.
- Big N - A big decorative letter for the Nilk festival.
- Fab Academy - Coursework towards this international Fablab qualification.
- Sing for your Stitches - Sewing machine hack inspired by 'Away With the Birds'.
- Yarla and the Winter Wood - Set design and build for a theatre production for 0-3 year olds.
- The Den - Interior design and build of a sensory room for Calderside Nursery.
- Phonic Stick - Industrial design and prototyping for an assistive communication device.
- Ling's Meadow - Logo design for a family campsite.
- Tutoring Services: Arduino @ GSA - Mentoring 3rd year product designers with Arduino.
- Open Thing - Developing the tools and methods for designing open products.
- ToTEM plinths - Exhibition plinth design and build for a research symposium.
- The Glad Cafe - Interior design and build for a new Glasgow music venue.
- Corrigan Shelves - A development of the Ferguson Shelves using Irn Bru bottles.
- Alloy EP Packaging - Packaging design for dBass' CD EP.
- Plex - Sound responsive LED matrix prototype for Carlo Viscione.
- Skinny's Jeans - A pair of dancing jeans inspired by The Skinny's listings pages.
- Campbell Chair - A custom chair design and build.
- Maklab - Setting up an open access digital fabrication workshop in Glasgow.
- Tutoring Services: DJCAD - tutoring 2nd Year Product Design modules.
- Worhaus Coffee Table Electronics - designing. specifying and fitting lighting for Colin's new table.
- Public Speaking: Mass Making - a talk for the Forum for Critical Enquiry at GSA.
- Octomitter - an 8 channel Niftymitter for Jonnie Common.
- Makerbotting - playing with and operating Mike's Thing-o-matic 3D printer.
- TOTEM prototyping - helping to build research prototypes for DJCAD.
- Tutoring Services: Street Interactions - tutoring at Strathclyde University DMEM.
- Craiglinn Underpass Lighting - working with advanced higher students to light their local underpasses.
- Ironside seat - A bespoke window seat.
- Mouseymitter - An Ex-iTrip toy for my nephew.
- Ayla shelves - shelves for my sis.
- Ben's blinds - an automated blind system for the studios.
- Making Services: Kabloom! - helping to make Seedboms.
- Tengreen: Johnson Shelves - a massive bookcase from reclaimed bottles and timber.
- Big Tape - a massive cassette tape for a music video.
- Tengreen: Burnham Table - a wee coffee table from reclaimed bottles and timber.
- Love Calculator - noisemakers for an interactive theatre production.
- Tengreen: Ferguson Shelves - a one piece bookcase from reclaimed bottles and timber.
- Tutoring Services: Strathclyde University - tutoring on the Street Interactions module.
- Making Services: Eggmachine - helping to make the new Arches bar.
- Flexi Trigger - a simple device to trigger sounds from a sampler.
- Niftymitter - a tiny FM transmitter, based around Tetsuo Kogawa's electronic design.
- Dive! - a laser engraved cribbage board.
- Eco Chandelier - a one-off chandelier designed and built by schoolkids.
- Tapehead Inspector - Scratch DJing with tape. Or a manual tape player, whichever.
- Big Bag Badges - hi-vis sew-ons for your courier bag.
- Ten Green Wee Shelving - A simpler spin-off from the modular shelving, all open source.
- Coach House Trust: Outdoor Furniture - picnic benches and bins for the canal at Bowling.
- Tension Table - a one-off table with bottles (again!).
- Carpet Concepts - experimenting with carpet reuse.
- Open Source Product Concepts - concepts for freely distributable and adaptable products.
- Parallel by Nature - researching local heritage and fundamental geometry.
- Macmillan Academy Eco Design Challenge - working with school pupils on wind generation.
- Submarine Rescue Vehicle - GRP tanks and fairings - part of James Fisher Defence SRV Design Team.
- Alternative Fuels Filling Station - concept design and visualisation for Glasgow startup.
- Introducing Extended Techniques in Solid Edge - Workshop for intermediate Solid Edge users.
- Ten Green - A modular shelving system from local recyclates.
- Marvin - Power hub and power consumption monitor.
- Intro to Solid Edge - Workshop for beginners to Solid Edge, and solid modelling in general.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Mapping the Design Debates - A short lecture.
- CAD Services: James Fisher Defence - Contract work for the submarine rescue sector.
- Azimuth: Integrated Surveying - a hybrid digital/analogue system for handling data in the outdoors.
- Chai Teahouse - packaging and graphic design for this Edinburgh business.
- Aby Vulliamy Music Therapy - accessible website
- Kunguland - very quick ramp up website
- SAMH Awards - three one-off production trophies.
- Arbiter Flats Drum Mounting System - an ultra-portable and intuitive rack design to compliment the Flats drum kit.
- Beacon - a handrail using light as a guide
- Medical Procedure Tray - a reaction to the problem of sharps disposal in the Western Infirmary, Glasgow
- OpenLantern - a low impact, 'hack' lamp design
- Libero - a dimming light switch designed with Fabio Guaricci
- theSound - ongoing experiment in online presentation and discussion of artistic works.
- The NYK Experiment - PR materials for this Glasgow radio show.
- Jam. - graphic design for this open stage jazz night.